Pamantasan ng Lunsod ng Muntinlupa President
Miguel Udtohan (inset) addressed participants
in the short but productive training session.
Dr. Raffy Mananghaya and Teacher Laury Arca
served as trainors/speakers during the seminar on ICT
Infusion in Instruction held at Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Muntinlupa
last June 7, 2005. Following are the highlights of the occasion:
Dr. Mananghaya started with an analogy of teachers/participants and young pigeons. The young
pigeons still struggle learning how to fly but once they fully learned
the task, they reach places they never imagined they could.
- Constructivism; Autonomous Learning; Cooperative Learning - These
are the new teaching models that go with computer-aided learning.
- Teachers are very creative at their own personal time. Some learn
fast early in the morning. Some in the afternoon. Some in the evening.
Some at noontime. They must thus be given the tools which they may use
in capturing their creativity immediately.
- Creativity + access to information = production of new knowledge.
- www (the world wide web) is assumed in the easy search for information.
- Trust has to be there in an open learning environment. Willingness
to join is another requirement. Combined, they foster the cooperative
spirit essential to learning.
Lesson 1. Puppy
- Assume that you are now in your creative moment and using
your new, inexpensive computer. Get the CD copied from your EM
partner/friend. Turn on the PC and insert the CD. After the PC boots
from the CD, you will be able to compose your thoughts using Scribus and save your pages as PDF. You can
also use the Puppy CD to operate the DidiWiki for collaborative writing.
- Native means locally raised, or the traits of a local. Being a Linux variant, Puppy is native to community self-help. However, not many people know it because it has no advertising budget.
- Software native to commercial ventures are popular because of
advertising. Example of advertising: Sharon Cuneta. People get to know
the product she endorsed. People even vote for a candidate because of
- Some answers are needed during the first boot of Puppy. One is
the format of the keyboard: use US format (it is easy to do computing
here because we just accept the US format). Next is the mouse: accept
PS mouse. Answer NO to the scroll/wheel mouse question. Then choose
the screen resolution: 800x600 x16 is the usual, or try 1024x768x16 for new monitors.
- Data storage - In linux, devices are mounted and
placed in /mnt. The Utilities - Mount option is used for mounting or
unmounting devices like /mnt/floppy (your floppy disk) or /mnt/home
(your hard disk).
- In Linux, the administrator is called root. Your desktop is therefore in the /root folder.
- Because of its speed and small size, Puppy Linux is timesaving and therefore maximizes your productivity.
- What if you are using other operating systems? Can you still view and print your PDF file? Yes.
- Sharing is a native feature of Linux. The ghttpd folder in the Puppy desktop contains the httpd server - just right-click then select Run to start it. You can view the contents of the htdocs folder when you enter localhost
in the browser. To make your PC viewable by others in a network, give
it an IP address by opening a terminal and typing the command
ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.100
- With trust and sharing comes collaboration. Puppy can host your collaboration - start the DidiWiki server under Information Management. You will see the Wiki when your enter in the browser localhost:8000. LAN users can see it at 192.168.0.100:8000.
- Wiki comes from the Hawaiian term wikiwiki meaning quick. What are the things that we can do with a wiki? Just press Edit to edit any page! It is a never-ending open editing for everyone with access to the network.
- That people can be trusting and reliable is assumed by the wiki. It
also allows you to outline your ideas before you write them. Words that
you enclose in square brackets  become links to new pages. After
saving the outline page, click on the new link to put content to the
page (the page is created automatically). Caution: avoid using
spaces when creating links this way. Use CamelCase style of writing,
like MyName and YourName will be how we will write those links.
HANDS ON: The participants were quick in using the Wiki - they even
used it for chatting! They enjoyed the ability to first outline their
thoughts as links then do the writing of pages later.
Lesson 2. Web Publishing
Teacher Laury Arca opened the session with her story about annex.ph-islands.net. She has already written a
module for values education complete with drawings, and with Eminima,
she is starting to publish the module chapters together with quizzes in
This summer, Laury spent around two working days
(spread across different sessions) putting content to the site. Being
the first Eminima partner to do so, she asked Sir Raffy for help via
text or phone when needed. News, officials' messages as well as
practice tests are now available in the site. This coming first
semester, she will start deploying the module chapters as PDF, and
accompany each chapter with pre- and post-test that can be taken online.
HANDS-ON: Web page publishing via ph-islands.net/plmun - the PLMun website, and eminima.org
- Everyone was excited to see the school’s website. Some created
tests. Some typed memos. Everybody did something. They agreed to get
started with syllabus for their respective classes.
- Tux Paint - downloading and trying Tux Paint for Windows. Tux Paint is also available in the Slax/EM CD - just command tuxpaint
while in a terminal window. This is very useful for creative drawing
for kids (as well as for teachers who want to make drawings easily). Content has to be attractive, too!
- Cute PDF - download and install two files in Windows for enabling
the conversion of any file to PDF. After restarting, you can print to
the Cute PDF "printer" and the PDF page will be produced. Then upload the PDF pages in your website.
Wrap-Up by Dr. Mananghaya
- There are two live CDs, the Slax/EM CD and the Puppy CD. Both can be copied to mini-CD.
- Server in your pocket - Imagine the convenience to a teacher
of having a server in her pocket. This is the Slax/EM CD. The website
appears exactly like the ones used in the hands-on exercise.